Friday, January 20, 2012

Back Story

Welcome to my blog! This is my little place on the web were I will share my successes and since I am being honest, sometimes failures in my journey to lose weight. 

Here is the background on my struggle and where I am today.  I have been struggling with my weight since about 1998.  At first I it was just a few pounds creeping on, then in about 2000 I started gaining pretty steadily and by 2004 I was up to 242 pounds and miserable. To put this into perspective, when I graduated high school in 1996 I was around 130 and really fit.   In 2004 I joined Weight Watchers (WW) for the first time.  I had big plans to lose the weight before my wedding that November.   When November rolled around I had lost about 25 pounds.  Yeah, I had lost some weight but I was not successful in my own eyes.  I really failed at working the program.  I would get lazy and not track my food (points) and what happens...you gain weight.  So this was pretty much my MO for the next few years, I would gain and lose the same 20-25 pounds following the WW plan intermittently.  In mid-2006 I became pregnant with my first child and thankfully I only gained about 15 pounds during the entire pregnancy.  Needless to say I was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight (230lbs) within a week or so of having Logan.  So I continued with WW, still gaining and losing the same amount of weight and not really getting anywhere with my goal. 

In 2008 I had by heart broken by a person I thought was a friend and that rejection spurred me into action to stop messing with the scale and actually try to get fit again. I had always wanted to do an endurance event, so I signed up with Team-in-Training to do the Nike Women’s Marathon in October of that year.  I trained and successfully completed the half-Marathon.  I loved my experience and have gone on to do three more half-Marathons since then.  I have also trained with Team for Century Bike ride and have become a pretty good cyclist. (My husband would disagree because I had a freak accident in which I broke my ankle in three places and a couple of other crashes one of which left me with a concussion and some pretty knarly road rash.  But I figure that if Lance Armstrong can crash from time to time, then so can I!)  So from 2008 through early 2011 I was pretty active training for events, going to the gym or doing some local fitness boot camps which helped to keep my weight in check and at one point I was down to 212 pounds.  I even started the P90x program and had completed the first 4 weeks when I found out I was pregnant.  Since pregnancy is difficult and risky for me I decided to take a break from all the exercise and concentrate on having a healthy pregnancy.  In October of 2011 I gave birth to a sweet baby girl.  Over the course of the pregnancy I gained about 55 pounds and reached my highest weight ever of 272 pounds!!  I just about fainted when I saw the scale hit that number.  Within a few weeks of having Madelyn I had lost 30 pounds and was back on track.  I rejoined WW and was ready to tackle this weight once and for all.  Then the holiday’s hit.

I made it through the holidays pretty much unscathed by the scale, but financial issues hit hard instead.  So instead of going back to the gym and continuing with WW, I have had to cancel both memberships to help save money.  I decided that I am not going to let money issues stop me, I am going to do this on my own (with the support of family and friends) without paying for programs and memberships.

So here I am today...242.6 pounds and ready to kick these pounds to the curb!!  I will be utilizing a free app call LoseIt to track my calories and exercise every day to help keep me on track and moving toward my ultimate goal of 140 pounds.  I want and need to lose 102.6 pounds!  I will be setting smaller goals along the way to help keep me from getting discouraged and to keep the whole process in perspective.

I know it is crazy but I would like to lose the majority of this weight before my 35th birthday on December 5, 2012.  Another goal I have is to compete in a triathlon before I turn 35. 

So that was by back story and from this point forward please check back regularly to read the Chronicles of the Shrinking Diva!

No comments:

Post a Comment